Royal George Inn
The Royal George is now the only public house in the village. The building dates back from 1723 and tradition has it that timbers from the ill-fated ship of the same name were used in its construction and that the inn was named after the ship.
However, the Royal George went down with all hands off Spithead on 29th August 1782, so the story seems unlikely to be true, unless the ship's timbers were used in later alterations to the inn!
At one time the inn had stabling for ten horses, but the stables were demolished and replaced by garages. A shop was sited in the main part of the inn, approached by what is now the left-hand door. The beer and cider had to be drawn by hand in the cellar and was then carried to the bar.
Later, the Wrekin Brewery who owned the property built the extension and installed pumps for the bar. At one time the field between the inn and the Court, which belonged to the Royal George, was used as the village green.