MINUTES OF LINGEN VILLAGE HALL MEETING, DEC 12TH 2016
Present; Trevor Pritchard, Claire Cadwallader, Jane Roberts, Mary Pettitt, Kay Pritchard Judith Phillips, Lorna Woods, Phil and Sally Barnett, Christine Moore.
Apologies; Julia Murrey, Jackie Morris
The minutes of the meeting held on Nov 14th were read with corrections made to the tradesmen who were beneficiaries of the Dr Cockburn bursary. It should have read “electrician and general builder” and not electrician. Also the widths of the new flooring is measured in metres and not feet!
The leaking tap in the ladies toilet has to be replaced as repair is not possible. The work is in hand.
The new floor coverings are on order, the fitting of which has not been confirmed.
The mirror for the toilet for the disabled will be purchased in the New Year sales.
Mary reported in her capacity of Treasurer that since September Barclays Bank has erroneously combined the Dr Cockburn’s account with that of Lingen Stitchers, and sent the quarterly statement to the Treasurer of the latter group. A complaint has been lodged but Mary has been frustrated by the lack of response from the bank. Seemingly it will take up to 8 weeks to resolve and the solution will be for 1 account to be closed and re-opened. No money has been exchanged but the committee were appalled at the lack of professionalism, and the seemingly reluctance of the bank to remedy the affair. Changing to an alternative bank was suggested but as the majority of “local” banks are being closed, the convenience of the service in Presteigne is a bonus. Mary will continue to express dissatisfaction and may involve the Ombudsman if required.
Claire volunteered to become a new signatory for the Village Hall
accounts(aswell as Trevor and Mary)and Mary will prepare the necessary papers.
Christine as Booking Clerk gave an update of the hall’s current usage etc.
All existing regular users have booked for next year and there have been parties, discos, whist drives and kaileys in the hall recently. A group running a walking festival have booked in June.
The hall’s forms require reviewing in 2017. The hire charges to remain the same for next year. The hall needs to remain competitive and used!
The key-holder for the Stitching group has changed.
Scottish Power, the electricity provider for the hall takes £24 monthly as Direct Debit, but the account is £314.05 in credit. This will be claimed back. Changing supplier was mooted, now that the contract is not tied in, and this may be a consideration when charges inevitably rise.
There have been 2 interruptions to the electricity supply recently to allow for tree work on of which necessitated the cancellation of the Teddy Tots group.
The central heating boiler was serviced on Dec 6th. The heating has been “on reserve” during the mild weather.
£783.29 was raised by the raffle at harvest which goes to the Church
£400 was raised by the Lingen Stitchers, £300 of which was donated to the East Radnor Leisure Centre.
The insides of the windows have been cleaned
£16.62 wayleave payment has been received.
The Fire Safety of the building has been checked at the cost of £96, the certificates for which are displayed on the boards in the foyer. This need only be checked annually and not every 6 months. The alarms are tested every month and appropriately documented.
Costs incurred by the hall amount to £1.81 for the Dr Cockburn’s bursary, and £12 for advertising the Lingen Lectures.
There has been a request from the PO to replace the satellite dish at the rear of the hall. The committee agreed and a letter will be sent to Ann so that this work can be carried out.
It was suggested that with regard to fund-raising events for next year that speakers for any lectures should be considered.
Trevor suggested a dance in the hall, ( pay on the door with a hall run bar and possibly pork baps) be held early in the year, before lambing season. Kay will explore music , possibly the gentleman who entertained the Bowlers last year, a date set and the event to be advertised (likely to be held before the next hall meeting in February)
Other events suggested were an antiques roadshow type event, Claire to approach auctioneers.
Promise Auction in the autumn..
Race Night in the winter.
The 100 club was drawn for both December and January.
- 17 Brynis Wooley
- 57 Ian Morris
- 84 Hazel Retallick
1. 35 Brian Lewis
2. 40 Yen Robinson
3. Heather, Tudor Cottage
The meeting closed at 8.50pm with everyone wishing each other a “Happy Christmas” and “A Happy New Year”.
The next committee meeting will be held on February 13th at 7.30pm.